Hey, welcome to RubySteps. I’ve done my best to put together a set of resources that will help you out, no matter where you are in your Ruby programming journey.
TDD: The most valuable skill you will learn
- Understand TDD by asking one simple question
- Master TDD by predicting the future
- The #1 mistake you make when doing TDD
- Not sure what test to write next? Create a TODO list with pending specs
- Refactor away duplication in your RSpec tests using the Parameterized Test Method
- Is it important to write tests when you're coding for yourself?
- What Ruby's zero? method can teach you about object-oriented programming
- How to convert a Ruby primitive to a custom domain object in two minutes
- Is this deadly sin killing your Ruby code?
Programming as a career
- So you want to become a full-stack developer...
- You can create a better tomorrow, starting today
- Find the Why to Find the Way
- How do you get experience being a good teammate if you don't work in a team?
- "Young" programmers
- Exposing the code school lie
- A day in the life of (this) Ruby on Rails freelancer
- Want to make the jump to freelancing? You're better off slowly transitioning...
- How to discover which technologies you need to know to land your Ruby programming dream job
- What kind of Ruby app should you build if you want to get a job?
- Why I turned down a $250k/yr programming job when I was 22
- Three ways to identify a company where you'll find a healthy work-life balance
- What's the best DNS host for your own web site? All your domain are belong to DNSimple
How to learn Ruby
- The two DHH-approved programming habits that will make you a good programmer
- Learning to program doesn't happen by accident
- How to build, retain and USE programming knowledge
- Why learning Ruby takes a lot longer than you think... and what you can do about it
- Why learning your second programming language can be harder than the first
- How you can learn more by writing code than by reading it
- Create great Ruby programs fast with self-reliance
- Customize your Ruby classes with to_s and inspect
- Create your own custom-built Ruby applications... automatically!
- Hop off the tutorial treadmill with comment-driven development
- After you've finished a tutorial, it's time to move on to something smaller and better
- Tutorials don't have an expiration date
- Create an application, not a magnum opus
- Why pairing with someone who knows less than you is the best way you can spend your time
- 6 ways to make sure you get helpful replies when posting a programming question to Stack Overflow (and reddit, mailing lists, and forums...)
- You might want to avoid using exceptions when things go wrong in your code
- Why do exceptions happen all the time in Ruby and Rails applications?