Justin Searls builds a software consultancy based on trust and learning.
You can download this episode! Just click the download button in the top-right corner of the SoundCloud player.
Justin Searls runs a software consultancy called Test Double out of Columbus, Ohio. Test Double has a unique model built on trust and learning. Justin talks to us about his consultancy, the layers of understanding that go into a complex software project, and things you should do to keep learning and advance your career as a software developer.
- [00:54] Welcome, Justin Searls!
- [01:54] Test Double’s unique consulting approach
- [06:05] Trusting people to ship great software
- [08:48] Why clients try to control the development process
- [10:47] How the construction metaphor helps and hurts software understanding
- [13:31] Learning from previous projects
- [16:06] Justin’s jenga tower of understanding
- [20:26] Dependencies!!!
- [22:50] Rails as a curated software system
- [25:14] Test Double Agents’ business and technical priorities
- [29:44] Settling on shared technologies to increase productivity and mitigate risk
- [31:04] Why we repeat the same mistakes every time a trendy new framework emerges
- [34:24] How to make an impact in a community
- [38:32] Uncertainty in greenfield vs legacy projects
- [44:19] How do you know that you’re a good programmer?
- [47:25] Programming as a communication tool, and the native English speaker’s advantage
- [49:09] Justin’s advice for advancing your software career
- [52:44] Thank you, Justin Searls!